Saturday, April 30, 2011

Oh Jerusalem!

I have made it to the Middle East..finally!  It was the craziest flight x 3, that I've ever had to go through.  However, thanks to modern day medicine (travel motion sickness patch) I made it in one piece.  When we arrived to the airport, we had to go through customs and declare that we were there to see the holy sites.  Security is really high in the airport, and a bunch of BYU students kind of stick out!  We were then met with our professors and a bus to take us to the beautiful Jerusalem Center.
That night I woke up at 5 am. to prayers being broadcasted throughout the city.  This chanting went on for half an hour plus.  JET LAG!  Jerusalem is 9 hours ahead of Utah, so my body is still trying to catch up with the time.



Me and my new roomies!





 I have officially fallen in love with the Jerusalem Center and the Old City.  The view from the balcony of our apartment is amazing.  You can see the Dome of the Rock and the old city with the many small villages around it.

Today (Saturday) is the Sabbath, so we had church which is held in the center's auditorium.  It was cool because people from tour guides joined us for sacrament.  After church we decided to go on a trip.  We ended up going to the Garden of Gethsemane.  The garden is fenced around, and there is a church right by it.  The olive trees were so beautiful, and the grounds were well groomed.   It was cool because people from all different faiths were there, and the respect for this site was so special.  Here are some pics:













2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I especially like the one of the olive tree.
    It was fun talking to you yesterday. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is Caden cuz I haven't figured out my account yet.. :).. Is that second to last picture you with gypsy pants? I'm super jealous. I really like the pictures. :)

    -Caden

    ReplyDelete